Following the success of our previous exhibitions in the Western Balkans region, The British Council invited Museums and Galleries to nominate their curators to take part in the Collaborative Collective and co-curate an exhibition with the focus on female artists (Sarah Lucas, Tracey Emin, Gillian Wearing etc.) whose works are part of the British Council collection (see).
Museums and Galleries that are chosen for the programme, and their curators, are listed below:
- Arta Agani │National Gallery, Kosovo
- Blagoja Varošanec │ Museum of Contemporary Art of Macedonia, Macedonia
- Jelena Ognjanović │Gallery of Matica Srpska, Serbia
- Lana Pilipović │Museum of Contemporary Art of Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Natalija Vujoševič │National Museum, Montenegro
Participants took part in a collaborative curatorial process (three day workshops Novi Sad in December 2017 and a week London in February 2018) to define a core list of works which will travel to each venue. The respective curator for each venue will then curate their own presentation of those works with additions from their local context and perspective (June 2018 – April 2019).
The curators will have the opportunity to present their own collections to UK Visual Arts professionals and organisations at an event during the research trip to the UK to help establish and build on their own networks and foster future collaborations.