The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. Our business operations and activities have an impact on the environment and we are committed to managing and minimising that impact.
Our Environmental Management System has achieved ISO14001 certification across our UK estate and our environmental action plan sets targets for reducing our carbon footprint in the UK. We use our Environmental Framework Tool to manage our environmental impact in over 100 countries across our overseas network.
The British Council is committed to:
- reviewing, understanding, and controlling the range of environmental impacts arising from its activities
- ensuring that it complies with UK and international environmental legislation
- setting environmental objectives and targets for activities with significant environmental impact
- communicating its progress in reducing its environmental impact to internal and external stakeholders
- monitoring and improving the environmental impact of its business travel and exploring new ways of delivering its work sustainably.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.